I wrote the lyrics and melody for The Wonder Years, but did not record my own version of the song. Instead I paid Chris Davidson
to record it for me.
Song Title: The Wonder Years
to download the MP3 file for The Wonder Years
The Wonder Years
The whirling twirling energy
it pulses through your veins
when eyes are all wide open
a boundless freedom reigns
Feel colors of a summer
as they dance upon the wind
and everything is possible
just waiting to begin
The world it keeps on spinning
through the laughter and the tears
you blink and it's gone
these are the wonder years
You look to the heavens
dream on every star
and sing along to the radio
from the backseat of a car
Oh, to be an astronaut
a fireman or spy
a superhero brave and strong
soaring endless skies
The world it keeps on spinning
through the laughter and the tears
you blink and it's gone
these are the wonder years
You blink and it's gone
these are the wonder years
Reviews of The Wonder Years from the ReverbNation.com Crowd Review service (overall song: 6.6 out of 10):
- The song starts with a nice up tempo and a good sound. The opening lead vocal is strong and I quickly enjoyed the way the lyrics were being sung. The sung is mixed well with a high production value. The hook was a little cheesy but the song never seems to take itself too seriously.
- This sounds pretty cool. i like the snare drum, the drummer got a good tempo and beat going on here. the electric guitar chords of choice are pretty cool too. the lead vocalist has got a good voice here, i dig his style. i really enjoyed this one so it has to be full marks 10/10.
- The vocals are distinctive, rich, warm and expressive. The lyrics are original, thought provoking and meaningful. There is a varied range of instrumental accompaniments which are imaginative. The artist is very talented and professional in my opinion. The structure of the song is unique and it has a strong commercial potential. The performance quality can be heard as over expressive. The artist wants to make an impression emotionally but overdoes this and comes across as sounding insecure, put on, melodramatic and pretentious.
- The tempo and instruments were a bit boring for my taste. The vocals and pronunciation needed a bit of work. The lyrics could of needed a bit more work and a bit of originality. I felt I heard the song countless times before. Maybe work harder on the overall instrumentals and vocals combined. Also balance the volume to make equal cause it unbalance.
- Intro kicks off with a variety of instrumental sounds which was awesome! The singer in my opinion is very skillful. His voice is nice and goes well with this type of song. The vocal melody ties in perfectly with the lyrics. The lyrics i think are the best I have heard in a while. I can understand this song form a personal stand point which is cool.
- I like the clapping sounds and instruments at the outset of the song. It makes me want to dance. The voice is not very pleasant to listen to, he sounds like he's not trying hard enough. I can't tell if this is a religious song or not, which means that the lyrics aren't clear or effective. His words are nice though, they have a positive message which I think is unique in this day and age. No many talk about positive things. He has a nice rhythm when he sings. I enjoy the song overall.
- I like the upbeat tempo of the instrumental in the beginning, and the voice is nice at first. It quickly gets annoying, though. While the lyrics are pretty and poetic, his voice is just not great. While I see talent in the lyrics and background song, I really don't see potential in this singer. The beat and tempo is great to tap your foot to, though.
- I love how the song has it's own flow. The beat sounds hard. Your voice also matches the type of music this is. Adding different kinds of tempos made the song even much better. This was a great production. I love the function of the song it created a great sense of excitement of sounds. The beat was also unexpected so the music is developing without knowing whats coming next. Nice song.
- The track is energetic and tuneful, a great motivational song. The performance is of consistent technical quality and enjoyment throughout. The vocal and lyrical strengths of the singer are well received. The song does a good job of holding listener attention with it's catchy accompaniment of instrumentals and backing melodies. The overall performance plays well.
- This song sounds like it is straight out of the 1980's. The song is catchy. The harmonization of the instruments and digital sound are good. This song musically flows smooth. The singer really uses his voice well in this song. He sings with feeling and conviction. This song is good.
- There is a steady beat to this tune which uses a few different percussive sounds to give a dance type vibe to a wide tempo beat. The singing has kind of a confident cool about it that sounds like influenced by 80's music. There is a guitar that has a bunch of reverb and plays with a clean tone, rounding out the song is a synth that pulsates throughout the verse.
- The introduction is a wonderful assortment of different instruments to start off the song, The melody is nice and continues to utilize the several instruments very nicely. The vocals are very nice but could be somewhat improved to be better for radio and commercial play. The lyrics seem to be very inspiring and are very relatable for someone feeling down. Overall the song has great tunes but can still be improved but making the vocals more pop-suited.
- The intro to the song is fast and energetic. The synth goes well with the guitar and drums which are played alright. The lyrics are rhyming and tell a descriptive story of the seasons. The vocals are crystal clear and should be a little louder in my opinion. The instrumentals are a little even with the vocals and I think the vocals should be louder. Besides that it is a good song.
- This song has a nice melody. The beats in the background contrast with the flighty music in the foreground and the singer's melodic voice. I can imagine this song being on alternative radio stations. It needs a little work to make it capture attention better.
- So I was doing other stuff while listening to the song, so while it's not a song that captures your attention, I wouldn't mind having it as background noise. The artist was not someone that caught my attention, but it wasn't wasn't awful. Middling ground. All in all, I wouldn't download it, but I'd listen to it if it was on the radio.
- I feel like I am in the 80s. I like the music production on it. The singers voice tone is good and the background is in sync. It is not all studio sounds he got drums and guitar. It kinda reminds me of the Beatles.
- This is a beautiful song and performance created by the intelligent artist and composer. I love how the structure this song so wisely and appealing to the listener. I like how the beat sounds like summer, it makes me feel happy. I love how rich and full the male artist vocals are. I like how these lyrics are actually meaningful.
- This is a nice melody that is very interactive. The music is light and subtle, there's a steady flow to it that works well with the singer's voice. The artist has a great tone to his vocals and he's very engaged in the song. There's a sharp vibrato that is very pleasant to hear. It sounds complete and well rounded rhythmically.
- The intro of this song is really upbeat and fun. I like the rhythm of the percussion. The vocals sometimes sound out of tune. I like the timbre of this song, and the instrumentation is really cool and enjoyable. I like the texture of this song, as well. The melody is unique and different. The guitar part is really good.
- The melody of this song is quite fast and consistent. The vocals are mellow and clear. I like how the lyrics sound meaningful and heartfelt. The bass and guitar really add a richness to this song. I can also hear a digital quality to this song that works and is not over done too much. The structure of this song seems to be arrangement well. There are moments in the song where the instruments take play and make the song seem more pleasurable to listen to.
- Wow! I really enjoyed this track! It caught my attention right from the start. It is very upbeat. I really enjoy the singer's voice. He has a very nice tone. The music was great too! I enjoyed all of the effects. They were very well balanced, not overdone. The lyrics are very good as well. It sounds like a hit to me!! I could listen to this one over and over. Thank you for giving me this track to review, it was really great!!
- This song started of well and started like a party song. the vocals are ok could be improved a little bit. Has a good melody and sound to it. the lyrics arent bad. sounds like a song at a party. will help people feel good for themselves and sounds like the perfect song for a reunion and good jam so.
- This song sounds like a TV show song. I imagine it to be played during a breakup. The guitar riff in the beginning sounds like from a Friends episode. The flute in the background adds an interesting effect to the mood. I enjoyed listening to it. I can relate to it.
- I like this song because it have a low beat,rhythm and pattern with its smoothing voice.Also it makes me happy and relax so i can have a smoothing relax picnic and day. In conclusion i rate this 7 because there are lots of good points.
- This song is cool it could be like some background music to one of those coming of age movies like The Breakfast Club or something. It's something cool to play when cruising on the highway and letting the breeze hit your hair without a care in the world and what not. This song is nice.
- I like the soothing vocals in and guitars in the beginning and introduction of the song. I also like the echoing in the background effects. I really like how the vocals are perfectly in sync and compliment the theme of the song which is light and upbeat. I don't really think that this song would become famous on today's market but it is definitely fun to listen to and I think that it will be well-liked. I also really like the end of the song. It is a good way to close out the already good song. I would give this song a seven out of ten.
- Musical introduction has a good beat. It leads into the song naturally and doesn't sound forced. Lyrics are easy to understand and fun. Singer's voice is clear and flows with the music. Lyrics are expressive. Rhythm is engaging and grabs your attention. Song is a lot of fun and very entertaining.
- The beats in this song are very enthusiastic towards this song and fits in very well and in sinc with the male singers voice. This song will be based in a old karaoke environment or a bar based area. I think this song is very calm and relaxing and I am going to rate it a 7 out of 10.
- I think the music is great. The singer is great too i just don't understand what the song is about. Im not sure I would like this song on the radio but maybe if i liked country music. I would say this song is ok.
- Its very catchy and upbeat. This something you would listen to while hanging out in your room. Its got a very 2000's vibe to it. the singer has a great voice. The music is great. The lyrics are nice they talk about the years of your youth and how you must take advantage of the moment.
- This is a beautiful song. I like the beatful melody and how it rings in my ear. I think the lyrics are inspirational and heartfelt because of the words. The vocals are tense and sound like she's going to cry. The instrumentals are loud and grow dramatically without hesitation. The only problem with this song is that the quality is a little static and the timing is off. The artist needs to fix those two issues but other than that there is a lot of talent and hard work that was put into this song.
- I love the simple beat to the song and that the song has a calm, but happy feel to it. I love the actual song and lyrics to it though. The song seems very well written and the vocals match the tone of the song and everything flows effortlessly. I could see myself purchasing this song. Great job!
- This song is OK. I don't like the persons voice. Although, the tune and melody is good. The lyrics are kind of confusing. I feel like the vocals are kind of out-of-tune and shapeless. It sounds like a song you would listen to in the eighties. I would like to explore more songs by this artist and find out more about them.
Below is an acoustic version of The Wonder Years by Douglas Haines
Reviews of the acoustic version of The Wonder Years from the ReverbNation.com Crowd Review service (overall song: 6.1 out of 10):
- Soft acoustic intro sounds quite nice here, not just standard chords. Very nice country style vocals here, not quite Neil Young but maybe in a few songs time. Lyrics are a little sappy but have a positive feel. Harmonising voices probably weren't necessary but were done well. A harmless song that you could sing around a campfire and maybe if there were more meaningful lyrics it could hit people harder.
- I would encourage this artist to find a recording studio and submit this song in there.I think your voice has something special about it and not many people have today on the radio. Any one can make a cool beat but you have the vocal tone to start a movement of new music. I loved the lyrics because they had meaning and I feel they were easy to sing along to.
- This song was ok but I was feeling too hot about it. The word of in the song were not the best but nor were they the worst. The combination of the parts wasn't very smoothly done. Nor was the overall piece. In general it was quite disappointing.
- An acoustic guitar is the start for this track and I think the acoustic guitar that plays has such a fancy sound to it. the chords have such a soft and subtle vibe to them. the man that sings has a really nice voice but it is a bit shaky. his notes are not completely straight as they should be. the lyrics are a bit boring as well. it just needs some minor tweaking.
- The intro of the song really melt my heart. I liked the slow start of the song followed by the main amusing vocal. The instrumental is simple and slow but very melodious and accurate. The artist keeps the quiet rhythm of the song with its smooth style of singing.I really like his vocal timbre, he has a special grim on his voice which makes it quite distinctive. Great lyrics as well, they are so sentimental and heartfelt.
- A very sad and thought provoking sound to the instruments, and really well laid out. I did wonder where the song was leading and i think you need to change the vocalist. The style and old fashioned vocalist was a little lacking in passion and energy. I would of liked the song to be improved by having two vocals, maybe you could strengthen the female vocalist singing to make sure the song is contrasting more.
- Lovely gentle acoustic guitar coupled with good vocals make this tune very believable. Good harmonies blend in well at the right time. Simple chords coupled with sensible lyrics can go a long way to make any song okay. was disappointed in the lack of variation and something a little more to make it more memorable. It's okay.
- The start is nice and relaxing so far, the acoustic guitar is interesting but overall boring. There's not much of a hook, or anything to stand out. The voice of the singer is kind of annoying, and doesn't work too well. As for the lyrics, they're cheesy and childish. The melody is too repetitive, and there's no beat, but that's expected of acoustic music. Overall, it's boring and unimaginative.
- The acoustic guitar sounded very peaceful and warming. The singer took his time to commence his singing. The lyrics are very intelligent to me. The vocabulary was very broad. The singing was boring. The singer didn't change his pitch or even put effort into his performance. It made me yawn a few times.
- Bob Dylan's lost song. Songwriting like this makes me love music. The summer of 69 feel. The laughter and the tears, wonder years lyrics like this put you in a mood into a different world. I could listen to this play non stop. Guitar strumming and a soothing voice. The wonder years indeed.
- This song starts off very simplistically, with basic guitar chords. The chord sequence itself is well designed and thought through. I particularly like the 7th chords. The lyrics of the vocals are very nice. I like lines such as 'dance upon the wind' which paint a nice picture in my mind. Around 60 seconds into the track the chorus comes in with vocal harmonies which I particularly enjoy. I love the actual lyrics themselves here, which are catchy and poetically fantastic.
- The intro had a nice Folksy feel to it. Once the singer came in it seemed to be going somewhere where I could follow. Even though the entire sound the singer has appears to be a Neil Young spin off. Not that it's a bad thing but he hits it pretty hard at times. I've always like the solely instrumental songs and one like this is how it should be recorded. There seems to be a lot of pressure to add way too much production to songs. it usually ends up ruining them at best. This was recorded well and sounded great. Rythem, lyrics and Melody were all fantastic.
- Nice country song, strong male vocals, nice introduction of another vocalist good harmony. The string playing was good and the beat to the song was good. classic country nothing too bad about this track, would listen to this again would be a good driving track.
- The song has a great guitar base and the rhythm is really relaxing. The artist has a clear, crisp voice that is nice. I wish the vocals were a little more confident and stronger, it sounds a tad too quiet. There are a few little tone issues but not very noticeable. I like the bare bones, stripped down approach, it focuses more on the quality of the vocals.
- The beginning of this song is slow and relaxing. The vocalist has a beautiful voice that is really easy and enjoyable to listen to. The lyrics have a beautiful message that has been told throughout the ages. This song is sure to bring back memories in listeners and bring about a feeling of nostalgia. The soft chords on the guitar go together good with the vocals and hold together this emotional song perfectly.
- Sounds like a home studio recording, i can hear the pitch shifting when the guitar sound was being edited. it's definitely a home production. i like the voice, and the lyrics, i wouldn't listen to this song, it's all a loop and a guy singing on it.
- The guitar in this song sounds melodic, giving natural tones to the song and highlighting the vocals really well. The lyrics are well written and the mix is well presented in the composition. Also the harmony in the vocals are outstanding! Perfect vocals! And a perfect sense of rhythm. This song can be relatable to some but not to many.
- Music was a little to slow. And the vocals werent all there i would start with a diffrent beat he has talent just not for this type of music. I would not listen to this music for a second or third time but you do have vocals in your music try hitting a high note.
- A really nice and slow song, with and inns great rhythm and beat. The singers voice is very powerful as there's something about his voice, and the way he sings the song that draws you in to the song. His lyrics are very confident and detailed. They express alot of emotion are meaningful as I feel like I can relate to the song.
- Wow i dont know what to say the accoustic guitar for intro it's incredibly perfect and the guitarist skill makes the song even better. the vocalist voice i think it's matching with the song. this is one of the best sad song i have ever heard. for the lyrics is kind of feeling me.
- I really love this song. It talks about life, and whats going on in life at the moment. This mans has a very professional voice for singing. I also love the guitar playing in the back-round of the music. The melodic sounds make this song perfect. This soundtrack is also filled with various types of pitches, which is amazing. I also love how in the song, 2 voices come together to make a spectacular song.
- Mixed feelings about this song. the vocals were alright but a bit naff in places and the lyrics were sadly the definition of cheesy. I want to hear this artist in a different song as I believe the artist is talented but the lyrics didn't help him. However, I did like the acoustic in the song.